Certification Engineer – Ireland
Our client is accredited to undertake Product Certification under three key areas (i) Construction Product Regulation (CPR), (ii) Marine Equipment Directive and (iii) Transportable Pressure Equipment Directive. They provide manufacturers with complete CE marking services for products that are covered by harmonised European Standards as a Notified Body (NB), and European Technical Assessments as a Technical Assessment Body (TAB), under CPR.
They are part of a world leading, multi-disciplinary, building science centre with a mission to improve buildings and infrastructure, through research and knowledge generation.
In this role:
Responsible for the operation, management and development of certification schemes. The work will involve the management and undertaking of EU Notified Body certification activities. Responsible for making decisions leading to the issue, maintenance, suspension or withdrawal of certification in relation to EU Directives.
This role has no budgetary responsibility but may from time to time manage a small team.
How will I add value in this role?
- Undertake and/or co-ordinate projects, ensuring that the work is properly controlled, monitored and disseminated to meet the needs of the company and the customer
- Ability to issue quotations to clients on project specific work
- Conduct EU Notified Body activities and make certification decisions in line with the standards and within the competence measures defined as per the EU directives
- Make certification decisions in line with the standards and within the competence measures defined
- Monitor practices of own and others’ work to ensure compliance with corporate, statutory and legal requirements as well EU directives and Notified Body auditing standards
- Liaising with test laboratories, both internal and external, to effectively schedule and manage work programmes
- Report writing and verification or validation and review of test reports
- Effective communication with clients across Ireland and internationally
- Assist in the development of new EU certification and testing schemes from concept to roll out
- Representing the company at various trade and standards meetings
- Liaising with internal departments, customers, trade bodies, approval agencies and accreditation bodies
What do I need in order to deliver this role?
- Qualification or equivalent experience in a science or engineering discipline
- Comprehensive understanding and experience of having worked with quality standards
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Proficient in Word, Excel, Outlook and databases
Great to also have:
- Understanding of mechanical and fire engineering principles and manufacturing processes of relevant products
- Understanding of built environment processes and standards
- Experience in certification or construction industry
- Experience of relevant EU Directives
- Experience in quality assurance or compliance/approvals
- Experience in product testing and evaluation
Which competencies would I need to demonstrate in this role?
- Strong decision-making skills
- Assertive, able to challenge constructively
- Beyond reproach in their way of working and delivering value to the customer as well as to the company
- Strong communication and influencing skills
- Commercially astute
- A full training programme will also be part of the induction and on-going up-skilling. This will primarily cover Suppression Schemes but also be extended to Fire Detection and Passive.
Highly competitive, based on relevant experience