Principal Consultant – Fire Protection
We are working with a world leading independent consultancy, research and third-party approvals body for fire, security and sustainability products and services to an international market. Due to an increase in demand for their services, they are seeking a Principal Consultant to join their Fire Safety team. Here, they have extensive and unique world class facilities for fire research and testing to European and international standards.
In this role:
This role will be responsible for owning client assignments where you will be required to work on-site in the examination of coordinated external facade detailing and passive fire protection. This role will be required to work with a number of other consultants within the Fire Safety team and other departments within the company as part of a coordinated effort to investigate fire safety concerns/issues/assignments. This role sits within the Fire Safety Group but works closely with the Construction team.
How will I add value in this role?
- Be confident conducting investigative inspections at client sites within the UK.
- To conduct practical, onsite work including conducting physical examination of materials onsite and working at height.
- Understand how buildings are constructed and have the ability to operate in a complex environment where they may be managing or working with multi-faceted teams with sensitivity.
- Able to work with discretion to author, review and deliver quality independent reports based on own technical assessment.
- Depending on experience, able to operate as a technical expert on issues that could lead to providing legal expertise as a recognised authority or provide technical support to other areas of the business providing expert witness services.
- Good report writing skills with experience in writing technical and detailed reports.
- Lead in the management of client projects.
- Team player with the ability to collaborate with a range of internal and external stakeholders in across multi-disciplinary technical delivery teams.
- Deliver quality, accurate work under pressure.
What do I need in order to deliver this role?
- Building surveyor, cladding designer or cladding/passive fire protection installer (working at a certified installer company) who is looking for career advancement into consultancy.
- Experienced in site work and working with on-site contracting staff.
- Extensive knowledge of fire protection materials/products, their use and installation.
- General understanding of the Building Regulations, British Standards, Fire Strategies and Approved Document B.
- Ability to read and understand design/construction drawings and interpret the details at site level.
- Attention to detail, and the ability to undertake thorough investigation on-site.
- Strong report writing skills with good written English and the ability to assimilate information into a comprehensive client report.
- Systematic approach to interrogative techniques and strong planning and organisation skills.
- Is able to operate independently and maintain impartiality with confidence.
- Respond and act professionally whilst operating within pressured environments.
- Professional membership of RICS, IFE or equivalent professional bodies.
- Experience in conducting negotiations and an understanding of contractual relationships.
- Knowledge of standard fire testing of construction products.
- Knowledge of appropriate fire industry guidance, e.g. ASFP guides.
Which competencies would I need to demonstrate in this role?
- Extensive knowledge of cladding systems and passive fire protection.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Conscientious and structured approach.
- Ability to assimilate information to draw conclusions.
- Confident in liaising with customers and external parties.
£45K basic salary
Excellent benefits including 22 days annual leave, profit share scheme, free parking, onsite gym, onsite restaurant, staff reward scheme and much more.