News, Blog, Employment, Awards, Careers | Thursday 18th August 2022
BS7858 is a British Standard instituted by the BSI for the screening of individuals wanting to be employed in the security sector, or in roles where screenings are necessary for the safety and reassurance of the public, such as IT or banking. The screening provides employers with peace of mind that their hires are suitable and possess the integrity required to carry out such important roles. This in turn ensures trust between employer and employee and prevents any humiliating incidents that might damage an organisation’s reputation.
The screening involves:
- ID check and confirmation of their right to work
- A financial history check
- A 5 or 10-year career history including an explanation of any breaks in employment of more than 31 days
- A criminal record screening
- Carrying out a check on the global watchlist
Employers are obliged to retain the information provided from this check for seven years after employment ceases. There are no losers in the implementation of the screening. The consumer, employers and the public benefit from the screening in equal measure because of the reassurance it provides.